Friday, June 11, 2010

food thought of the day

As a nutritionist, I think I must talk about yogurt at least half dozen times a day. which one is better? nonfat or low-fat? Greek? Australian? Fruit at the bottom? What if you add your own fruit? How much granola is okay to put in it?
Here it is. First off, you have to like what you are eating. With that being said, sometimes it takes a few times eating something to really appreciate the taste- expanding your pallette is one of the best things you can do for yourself in terms of your health. But if you don't like blueberry yogurt, don't eat it. Have raspberry.
The best way to eat yogurt is to buy plain low-fat yogurt (I love Fage), put it in a bowl, add fruit, and decorate with granola or sliced almonds if you need "crunch". You know that you have added too much if all you can see is the granola. If you need more sweet- drizzle with a bit of honey. Yogurt is a great food because of the probiotics it contains (helps your digestive system)- so when you look at the ingredients you want to see words like acidophilis.
The Chobani brand has a fantastic 0% yogurt with fruit. I surprised myself when I realized I like this because I thought I hated fruit at the bottom yogurt. I think I have realized what I hated was having to stir it all up. So I guess I was being lazy. Kindof how I dislike natural peanut butter because stirring it makes such a mess and drives me up the wall. But once I do it, it is so worth. speaking of which I can go for a piece of toast and peanut butter.
One more thing about yogurt, it makes a great breakfast or snack, as long as it fills you up for about 2 hours. If it doesn't, play around with different combos- like nixing the granola and having a pice of toast with flax oil instead (along with yogurt).
More in a bit......

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the yogurt info, Julie! I just wanted to add that it is super easy (and affordable) to make your own yogurt. I do, and I swear by it! Just heat milk to a boil in a stockpot, let it cool, stick your pinky finger in until you can only stand the heat for 10 seconds, and cover. Wrap the covered pot in a bath towel. 6 hours later, you will have delicious homemade yogurt!

    ReplyDelete