Friday, June 11, 2010

lunch date at whole foods

My daughter and I just came home from our lunch date at Whole Foods. As we shared our chicken burrito, I couldn't help but look around at what others were eating. Actually, first I looked at what I was eating. The burrito was HUGE, it had chicken, rice, black beans, guacemole, corn, and a bit of cheese. The wrapper itself must have been 150-200 calories. Granted, when I was designing it I was thinking of Izzy (my 15 month old), but if I had eaten that burrito all by myself I probably would have consumed between 700 and 800 calories. It wasn't all bad, as it contained good sources of protein, carbs, and fat- BUT I couldn't help but think that so many people would eat that whole burrito thinking that it is "healthy" because it was from Whole Foods.
So the food choices that others were eating:
pizza
beans with melted cheese and rice
gelato
huge sandwiches, bags of chips, and all natural soda

just to name a few....I didn't see one person eating a salad that didn't contain about a dozen things that pretty much made that salad just a hodgepodge of extras all negating the health potential of that salad.
The truth is is that most of the food at the prepared food section at Whole Foods is not made with their free range meat, contains a lot of sugar and salt, and generally the portions are way to large. On a positive note, the prepared section is now so large, there is still so many options that would fit into almost anyone's nutrition plan. The key is to not get sucked into thinking that everything is healthy because of the name of the store. Think about portion, nutrients, and make mindful choices.

I also want to add that eating at a grocery story can be VERY dangerous, especially Whole Foods, because there is much wonderful food for any foodie. After I finished my lunch, I was thinking "how great would it be to have something sweet now, and hey, the bakery/gelato is right on the other side of the cafe (how convenient, right?). I didn't get anything else, as I waited a few minutes and realized that I was really full, and what I really wanted was a bit of water. That did get me thinking of how many people overeat because they realize that there is an entire store filled with anything they want right on the other side of their table. Hmmmm......
So again, remember that when you are at Whole Foods- focus on the foods that are WHOLE, that is where the goodness is. Maybe after you have lunch, you can go back through the aisles and grab a new green veggie to try for dinner, or a tea to brew overnight for the morning. Explore the bulk section- never had quinoa? Get a couple scoops of it and try it with some fresh fish and fresh salad. That's what Whole Foods is good for :).
Happy Eating!

2 comments:

  1. I love this entire post. I totally abused the salad bar at Whole Foods

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! I am always jealous of people eating everything from those 'salad' bars, now I feel better.

    ReplyDelete